Monday, February 14, 2011

Chocolate Crunch Bars


I sometimes feel the tiniest bit guilty when I make these.  Not because of the name, or the fact that they contain a nice amount of butter and sugar, but because they are so easy to make and are my "Oh my God, I promised I would make something and it is already 10 pm and I'm super tired" cookies. 


In an ideal world, I would have an unlimited amount of time to bake.  In the real world, I have this recipe to save me when I'm running short on time or just want something easy to make that I know everyone will love.  Apparently, I fall into those categories fairly often because my cookbook now seems to open to the recipe on its own.


Quick preparation aside, these cookies are a highly addictive combination of crunchy oats and chocolate.  It is safe to say that I have never made these bars without someone asking me for the recipe.  I expect that you will have the same result...

Notes:
Depending on what I have on hand, I fluctuate between making these with all Lyle's Golden Syrup or part Lyle's Golden Syrup and part honey (for tips on easily getting the syrup out of your measuring cup, read here).  Either light or dark brown sugar will work for this recipe, but I generally use light brown sugar.  I prefer to use pecans or walnuts for the topping.  My jelly roll pan is about 15x10 inches.  Trimming the edges off before you cut the bars will help you to ensure that every bar looks exactly the same.  

Recipe adapted from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The Essential Cookie Cookbook

Crust Ingredients:
4½ cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
¾ cup Lyle's Golden Syrup (or ½ cup Lyle's Golden Syrup and ¼ cup honey)
1 tablespoon vanilla

Topping Ingredients:
2¼ cups dark chocolate, chopped
⅔ cup finely chopped nuts

Yields 80-100 ~1”x1½” bars, depending on how you cut them.

Mix and Bake:
Preheat the oven to 425°F.  Line a jelly roll pan with foil, leaving a two-inch overhang at each end, and set aside.  In a large bowl, stir together the oats, brown sugar, and salt, breaking up any large clumps of brown sugar.  Add the butter, Lyle's Golden Syrup, and vanilla, and stir until all of the oats are coated.  Dump the mixture into the prepared jelly roll pan and spread it out over the pan using a spatula.  Use the greased bottom of a measuring cup (or loaf pan) to press the oats into the pan so that they are in an even layer and slightly compacted.  Bake for 10-14 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.  It will bubble quite a bit while it bakes. 

Top:
Once the bubbling has stopped, and while the crust is still warm, sprinkle the chopped chocolate over the top so that the heat of the crust can melt the chocolate.  When the chocolate has melted, use an off-set spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the chocolate evenly over the crust.  While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle it with the finely chopped nuts.  Loosely cover the pan with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator (or freezer if you are in a rush) until the chocolate is set. 

Cut:
Once the chocolate is set, remove the pan from the refrigerator and use the foil overhang to lift the large bar onto a cutting board.  Using a sharp knife, trim the edges off the large bar and then cut it into 1”x1½” rectangles.  Double check the bars to make sure that there is no foil remaining on the bottom.  Store the cookies in an airtight container. 

Pin It

1 comment:

Jenny V said...

these are seriously amazing!

Post a Comment