Thursday, December 8, 2011

Cinnamon-Sugar Pecans



I love these pecans.  I first made them when Scott and I were babysitting our favorite nephews. (The boys were in bed when I made them.)  Don’t worry; I left some behind for my brother and sister-in-law to eat!  I wouldn’t just use someone else’s stove without leaving a nice treat behind!   I think this recipe should come with a warning label that reads, “These are addictive.  Make these and then immediately share them with other people so you don’t eat them all yourself.”  Consider yourself warned!


These are relatively easy to make, as long as you add the correct amount of water.  Trust me on the water issue.  I made three batches of these with too much water, and the results resembled a messy brittle.  It was tasty, but not what I was looking for.  I was so glad when I figured it out that too much water was the issue and was able replicate the recipe.  So, on that note, go grab some pecans and get started.  You’ll be done in about a half hour or less!



Notes:
Feel free to use any mixture of spices that you enjoy.  (Next time I might add a just pinch of cayenne pepper to make them spicy.)  You can also substitute other types of nuts.  If you burn the nuts while toasting them, throw them out, and start again.  No special tools are required for this recipe.  If you’re having trouble cleaning the cooked sugar out your pan once the nuts are done, just fill the pan with some water, and let it soak.  In a little while, the water will dissolve the sugar, and all of the hard work will be done.  If you don’t want to toast the nuts, you can skip toasting them, but the flavor won’t be as rich. 

Adapted from My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats

Ingredients:
2 cups raw pecan halves
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup water
¼ salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ginger
⅛ teaspoon cardamom
⅛ teaspoon cloves

Yields about 2 cups

Toast, Cook, Spread, Separate:
Adjust the oven rack to the middle level of the oven, and preheat to 350°F.  Spread the pecans in a single layer on an unlined, rimmed baking sheet, and toast for 6-8 minutes, until the pecans are golden brown and fragrant, stirring halfway through.  When the nuts are toasted, carefully pour them into a large pot.  Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar begins to crystallize.  Lower the heat, and continue to cook until they are evenly coated, dry looking, and pretty much all of the water has evaporated.  Scrape them out onto a cookie sheet (it can be the same one the nuts were toasted on), and spread them into an even layer with a spoon.  Once the nuts are cool enough to handle, use your fingers to break up any large clumps.  Store the nuts at room temperature in an airtight container. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment