Thursday, December 22, 2011

Vanilla Nut Caramels


I love caramel!  I was pretty excited when these caramels turned out so wonderfully because they are made with honey instead of corn syrup.  Oh sorry, I mean corn sugar.  They kind of remind me of the caramels that they sold at the candy store I worked in during high school.  The store had large trays of perfect caramel squares that we would place in tiny cups.


The chocolate-covered ones were my favorite.  They had a thin diagonal line across the top, not to be confused with the line that went across the center of the chocolate-covered fudges.   Yes, knowing those fancy little squiggles on the tops of the chocolates is the key to being able to eat all of the good pieces of candy before everyone else can get to them!  Not that all chocolate decorations are standardized; but I digress....


I made these caramels as a stepping stone to Turtle Thumbprints.  I was flipping through my little red book of ideas, when I came across a little drawing I had made of a chocolate cookie idea.  It was supposed to be a chocolate cookie with a jam layer, but I didn't have the right homemade jam for it, so I sat there on the floor thinking intently about what goes well with chocolate, and then it hit me:  caramel.  I grabbed my candy book and found a recipe for caramel and got started.  Right away.  Thank goodness I had all of the supplies I needed because sometimes a good idea just can't wait for a trip to the store!  Once I realized I wouldn't need an entire batch of caramels to make the thumbprints, I decided to wrap up the caramels and post them as a separate candy item.  Brilliant!


P.S. Do you like the plate I have these on?  My god-daughter, Renee, gave it to me, and it is definitely one of my (two) favorite holiday plates!!


Notes:
Bringing the caramels up to the correct temperature is essential, so I don't recommend making these without a candy thermometer.  I like to toast the pecans in a small skillet, which improves the pecan flavor.  You'll want to transfer the pecans from the skillet to a plate to cool because they will continue to cook if they are left in the pan.  If you burn the pecans (or the caramel!), throw them out and start again.  These caramels could definitely have more nuts in them.  I think next time I make them, I will add an additional ¼ cup or so of chopped nuts.  So, if you are a huge fan of nuts, feel free to add some extra!

Recipe adapted from Creative Candy Making

Ingredients:
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup honey
1 cup heavy whipping cream, lukewarm
¼ cup unsalted butter
½ cup chopped pecans
½ teaspoon vanilla

Cook, add, cook, add, pour:
Place the chopped pecans in a small, dry skillet, and toast, stirring regularly, until the pecans are fragrant.  Immediately pour the pecans onto a plate to cool while you make the caramel.  Line an 8x6-inch pan (or similarly-sized pan) with a piece of aluminum foil, leaving an overhang at two of the edges.  Pour a little vegetable oil into the foil-lined pan, and use a paper towel to grease all of the foil.  Set the pan aside.  In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the sugar and honey.  Cook over medium-low heat, stirring regularly, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to boil.  Clip the candy thermometer to the side of the pan, and cook, stirring regularly, until the mixture is 250°F (firm-ball stage).  Next, gradually add the warmed heavy whipping cream, stirring constantly.  Add just a little cream at a time so the mixture never stops boiling.  Continue to cook and stir until the mixture returns to 250°F.  Once it reaches the correct temperature, add the butter a tablespoon or so at a time, and then add the pecans.  Again, the mixture should never stop boiling.  Continue to cook and stir until the mixture returns to 250°F.  Once it reaches the correct temperature, remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.  Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.  Do not scrape the caramel out of the pan.  (If there is any left clinging to the pan, scrape it into a small bowl and eat it with a spoon!)  Allow the caramel to sit at room temperature until it is set (several hours).

Cut and wrap:
Once the caramel is set, use the foil overhang to lift the caramels out of the pan.  Carefully peel the foil off the caramel, using the end of a sharp knife to lift any foil pieces that do not come off the caramel easily.  Place the caramel on a cutting board, and use a sharp, thin knife to slice it into squares or rectangles (the size is your choice).  Cut squares of parchment paper, and wrap the caramel pieces in the paper, making twists at the two ends.  Store them in an airtight container at room temperature. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment