Monday, June 18, 2012

Carrot Cake


I was digging through my recipe box last week looking for something to make when I came across my grandmother's carrot cake recipe.  Several years ago I went to my grandparent's house and went through their recipe boxes and typed up the ones that were most interesting to me.  Before I went, I put together a spreadsheet of all of  the recipes I could think of that I wanted to type up and created a template so that each recipe would look the same.  I came away with about 60 recipes, most of which were not on my original list.  It was a fun weekend - they showed me how to make a few things, and then we relaxed together in the living room, my grandfather in his reclining chair, my grandmother in her spot on the couch, and me sprawled out on the flowered chair near the front door with the recipe boxes on the little wooden bench to my right and my computer perched on my lap.


I have to say they were both incredibly patient as I interrupted whatever was on the TV to riddle them with questions and beg them for tips about the recipes.  Some of the recipes I still haven't tried, but my first post, about apple squares, was one of the recipes I got from them that weekend.  Some of the recipes I typed up that weekend I already had in my recipe box, like the carrot cake recipe.  Just the same, I wanted everything in one place where I was sure I wouldn't loose it.

When I rediscovered the carrot cake recipe the other day, I knew it was exactly what I wanted to make.  You'll notice that I've put down that this cake is "inspired by the recipe my grandmother uses."  That's because she always makes it in a 9x13 pan when tons of people are going to be around and always has canned pineapple at the ready.  Sadly, I was short on pineapple, but decided to plow ahead anyway.  Trust me, while this isn't completely authentic to her recipe, you won't be disappointed!  Plus, you can always feel virtuous for incorporating a vegetable into a baked good - I know I always do. 


As you can see in the photograph Scott took,  I like to sport aprons when baking, failed hand-modeling school, and packaged up half of a loaf to share with my parents when we met them in Gettysburg on Sunday afternoon. (OK, maybe the meeting my parents part in Gettysburg on Sunday isn't really that apparent...)  I didn't have a perfectly-sized container to nicely box the cake in, so I decided to use one of the awesome cookie tins that a co-worker recently gave me. (Thanks, Bill!)  Just in case you didn't know, cookie tins are perfect cake carriers (as long as the tin is deep enough to cover your cake without smashing the top).  Just flip the lid upside-down, put a blob of frosting on it, then a piece of wax or parchment paper, then another blob of frosting, then the cake, then frost and decorate the cake, top it with the bottom part of the cookie tin, and use two pieces of masking tape to secure the lid to the bottom so it doesn't fall off during transport.  Now your cake can safely travel in style to Gettysburg (or wherever you are taking it) in perfectly-sized packaging.  And yes, the blobs of frosting really will help keep the cake from sliding all over place when you frost it and carry it around!


Notes:
If you don't like nuts in your carrot cake, feel free to leave them out.  Also, you could substitute another type of nut if you don't like walnuts.  I used a food processor to grate the carrots.  If you run out of time, or aren't a frosting person, you can just slice the loaves and eat them as "carrot bread" instead.  The unfrosted slices can be toasted and spread with a thin smear of cream cheese for an afternoon snack.  These loaves freeze beautifully.  I made this recipe as loaves because Scott and I struggle to eat an entire cake and loaves are more portable.  The frosting recipe is for one loaf only.  If you want to frost both loaves at once, double the recipe.  In the frosting, you can use milk instead of half and half.  If the cakes are browning too quickly, tent a piece of aluminum foil over tops of the cakes and continue baking until the cake is done. 

Inspired by the recipe my grandmother uses

Cake Ingredients:
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2½ baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoons nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1½ cups vegetable oil
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs
zest of 1 medium-sized orange
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
2½ cups shredded carrots

Frosting Ingredients for One Loaf:

1½ cups sweetened coconut
3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
½ tablespoon half and half
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Yields 2 loaves of carrot cake and 1 batch of frosting (enough to cover one loaf)

Whisk, Combine, Pour, Bake, Cool:
Butter two loaf pans, line them with parchment paper, leaving some overhang on the longer sides of the pans, and then lightly flour the pans and set them aside.  Adjust the oven rack to the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350°F.  In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and ginger, and set aside.  In a separate large bowl, stir together the oil, sugars, and eggs until they are well combined.  Add the zest and vanilla extract and stir until they are incorporated.  One at a time, stir in the flour mixture, nuts, and carrots, taking care to not over mix the batter  Immediately pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans and bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes, or until the cakes are a nice golden brown color and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Allow the cakes to rest in the pans for 5 minutes, and then use the parchment paper overhang to lift the cakes out of the pans and allow them to fully cool on a rack.  If not frosting, wrap the cakes well after they are cooled.  Store any cake you won't be eating soon in the freezer. 

Toast, Beat, Add, Beat, Frost:

Once the cakes are cooled, gently remove the parchment paper.  Wrap one of the cakes well in plastic wrap and place in the freezer to eat at a later date.  If you're going to frost both cakes, be sure to double the frosting recipe.  Set the cake that will be frosted aside.  Place the coconut in a large dry skillet, and toast over low heat, stirring regularly, until the coconut is lightly browned.  Immediately dump the coconut onto a plate to cool.  If it is left in the pan, it will burn.  Combine the cream cheese and butter the bowl of a mixer and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and half and half, and beat until they are incorporated.  Beat in one cup of the powdered sugar and then gradually add the remaining powdered sugar until the desired consistency is reached.  If the frosting becomes too thick, add a bit more half and half; if it is too runny, add more powdered sugar.  Measure out a half cup of the toasted coconut and beat it into the frosting.  Place a blob of frosting on a plate, place the cooled cake on top of it, and then frost the cake with an off-set spatula.  Sprinkle the reserved coconut on top of the cake.  Lightly cover the cake with plastic wrap or a lid, and refrigerate until serving.  Store leftovers in the refrigerator. 



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment